[BC] Building an audience

DANA PUOPOLO dpuopolo
Fri Oct 14 23:51:21 CDT 2005

Ahh, but you've identified the problem with AA and with Rush these days too!

Rush used to be an entertainer. He even admitted as such. His show used to be
entertaining (and I have liberal leanings) Now he believes he's some kind of
prophet for the conservative cause. In some ways he's like Howard Beale  in
the movie "Network" - and his ratings are also dropping like Beale's were (but
I'll wager no one is going to kill kim on air llike happened to poor Howard in
that movie!).

Air America whines to much. In some ways what they do on air is kind of like
negative campaigning. They whine about how bad the Republicans are ad nauseum.
 Negative campaining is designed to keep undecided voters home by boring and
disgusting them. That way the candidate maximizes their chance of being
elected. Air America has very few listeners because they bore people. The
democrats that listen to their preaching are already IN the choir!! They need
to tone the whining down and begin educating and entertaining the audience.

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: DHultsman5 at aol.com
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: Re: [BC] Building an audience

In a message dated 10/14/05 6:19:11 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
webmaster at radiopower.org writes:

Rush  came along and took the time slot just before
> Michael, banged pots and  pans, did parody songs and insulted every
> minority he could  find.

Anyone who listened to Rush in those early days for some period of time
would have to agree that he made fun of everything.  Before he was so  popular
the
commercials used for the spot filler were outstanding and very  funny.  Of
course you had to have some sense of humor."Spatual City",   Bungee Condoms,

etc.  all very creative and funny.  Also he was  one of a few conservative
talkers on radio back then.  Now we have too many  all flavors.

I have listened to Franken and others on Air America and maybe I should  hang

around for a week of listening but so far they haven't presented anything  to

hook me or keep my attention.

Content does make a difference.  Personality adds alot.  The  success of Paul

Harvey is a combination of both and has been a radio leader for  over 40
years.

Dave