[BC] RAIN report: HD Radio s Creative Thinking

Robert Orban rorban
Fri Oct 14 20:55:21 CDT 2005

At 04:51 PM 10/14/2005, you wrote:
>From: DANA PUOPOLO <dpuopolo at usa.net>
>Subject: Re: [BC] RAIN report: HD Radio s Creative Thinking
>
>Okay, let me get this straight..
>
>IBOC-FM has 96K of data available. Period.
>
>Have any of you listened to a 128K MP3? it's BARELY decent quality compared to
>CD's. Or how about a 64K Windows Media Stream? Barely FM analog quality if you
>ask me - and I used to run a bunch of 64K WM streams when I was engineer for
>www.worldclassrock.com.

Neither MP3 nor WMA uses Coding Technologies' Spectral Band Replication
technology, which essentially doubles the coding efficiency of the core
codec. The HD Radio codec (HDC) _does_ use SBR. So the comparison that you
are making is not very relevant. If you compare HDC to anything, it should
be to HE-AAC (aacPlus).

Bob Orban