[BC] Building an audience

Rich Wood richwood
Fri Oct 14 20:28:01 CDT 2005

------ At 07:01 PM 10/14/2005, RadioPower.org wrote: -------

>Wasn't Paul Harvey big before Limbaugh? At his peak I'm sure he was in every
>major market with tens of millions of listeners. I think some peeps give the
>oxycodone prince a little too much credit. Good old fashioned fascism is all
>it took to create Rush wing radio.

Paul Harvey has been the #1 network show for years. Harvey does news
commentary. Less than 30 minutes a day. We're talking about full
length (2 hours or more) Talk Shows. Paul did some skydiving about 15
years ago. On his next visit to New York I took him aside and
reminded him of the risk he took with our futures. At the time it was
believed that, without Harvey, ABC radio wouldn't exist. I was
joking, sort of. He laughed. Every ABC radio employee required
emergency Valium for  weeks.

Topic #1 at ABC was "who would replace Paul Harvey?"

Rich