[BC] HD Radio -- Folks we have to get it right!

Cornelius Gould cornelius
Fri Oct 14 17:57:26 CDT 2005

I agree with Cowboy here.

Sure, IBOC may not be the perfect solution.  I don't think anyone claims
it is...but it *is* what we have, and we must make sure it works
according to specs.  That's our job as engineers!

I've seen many posts here talking about how DAB would be so much better
if we would just use (insert DAB idea here).  That's fine.  In the event
that someone DOES come up with something better in the future, what
makes you think the consumer electronic manufacturers will even trust us
at all with such a new system if we as broadcasters botch the existing
one so bad that they end up losing money replacing most of the radios
they manufacture with older tech?

The OEM's who have committed to HD Radio are really sticking their necks
out this time around considering how badly they got burned with AM
Stereo (Yes, totally different situation, but for the OEM's it meant a
bad investment in R&D and money).

Let's make sure that this (particular) transition to digital
works smoothly for all parties involved.

We as an industry have no right to argue about how slowly the HD Radios
are rolling out when there are so many broadcast stations not
implementing the service correctly!

-Cornelius

--

- Cornelius Gould