[BC] EAS

Bill Croghan loteng
Fri Oct 14 16:12:44 CDT 2005

>Yes, YOU have a receiver that monitors the broadcast band for EAS, but how
>many others? I haven't asked the person at TFT (Mr. Parker?) how many of
>his units he has sold, but if the number is more than 3 digits, I'll be
>surprised.
	My point exactly.  I doubt that Daryl Parker has sold many consumer
receivers, since TFT is in the Pro business.  That pro stuff isn't cheap.  I
wouldn't have it at home if the combination of NV state, NV Broadcast
Association and Homeland security grants hadn't bought it for me and the
other area chairs.  I would (and do) have the NWS alert receivers and the
ASI Broadcast alert receiver.  Any solution that depends on the public going
out and buying something special is doomed to be a failure.

>I've always been a believer in EAS, and I work to implement it properly at
>all the stations I work for. When I worked for LifeTalk Radio, I also
>encouraged the LPFM stations we counseled to participate actively in EAS.
>But in recent months I have come to believe that the current model or plan
>or whatever is simply outmoded, and is not effective, for all the reasons
>that have been stated in this thread.
>If a new Rulemaking is ever initiated, I plan to apply to be included in
>the group that studies it.

	Good, you are a doer and not just a bitcher, but from others on this
list I know how effective the Mississippi plan is.  Old friends from the
time I spent at Keesler in the USAF had already told me that as well.
	Read the Report and order establishing LPFM.  The FCC quoted my
comments on EAS for the LPFM stations.  At least they are required to have
decoders.  TFT and maybe others do produce a "decode only" box.
	Others have commented that it may be time for EAS version 2 and I
couldn't agree more, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
It was 13-14 years ago that our "National Industry Advisory Councils" met to
help build the existing system and few changes have happened since then.

Bill