[BC] EAS

Jerry Mathis thebeaver32
Fri Oct 14 14:22:59 CDT 2005

>From: "Bill Croghan" <loteng at lvradio.com>
>Subject: RE: [BC] EAS
>Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 09:45:53 -0700
>
><snip>
>
>	Earlier you wanted there to be some method whereby the public could
>be alerted even if their radios were off or on Alert status.  Now you want
>to eliminate the digital duck farts that can make that possible.  I have a
>full TFT system at my house, monitoring 6 sources, but I still have a
>little
>ASI unit that tunes to any AM or FM station and alerts on receipt of the
>Duck Farts.  That's what you wanted, now you want to eliminate that
>possibility?  Everyone at home can't get the LP and NWS stations but most
>can get some form of terrestrial radio.

Yes, YOU have a receiver that monitors the broadcast band for EAS, but how
many others? I haven't asked the person at TFT (Mr. Parker?) how many of his
units he has sold, but if the number is more than 3 digits, I'll be
surprised.

>	The system isn't perfect.  There are solutions out there, but as
>Clay F. and others have pointed out, it takes work, time and dedication.
>Over the last 25 years I've served as EAS or EBS chair for two operational
>areas and am now co-chair of my biggest yet here in Las Vegas.  If you
>don't
>serve on a local or state EAS committee then you are part of the problem,
>not part of the solution.
>
>Bill
>
>Bill Croghan CPBE WBØKSW
>Chief Engineer,
>KOMP/KXPT/KENO/KBAD
>Lotus Broadcasting
>Las Vegas, NV
>Email to loteng (at) lvradio.com
>Phone 702-315-3030
>Fax   702-876-6685

I've always been a believer in EAS, and I work to implement it properly at
all the stations I work for. When I worked for LifeTalk Radio, I also
encouraged the LPFM stations we counseled to participate actively in EAS.
But in recent months I have come to believe that the current model or plan
or whatever is simply outmoded, and is not effective, for all the reasons
that have been stated in this thread.

If a new Rulemaking is ever initiated, I plan to apply to be included in the
group that studies it.

Jerry Mathis
Clear Channel Radio, Tupelo & Meridian MS