[BC] EAS

Cowboy curt
Fri Oct 14 15:28:51 CDT 2005

On Friday 14 October 2005 01:36 pm, Robert Meuser wrote:
>Cowboy wrote:
>
>> Today, in 2005, to discard tools that no one has used for 20 years
>> is a position I can take no issue with.
>> They would have, could have, been EXCEEDINGLY useful, even
>> during Katrina, had someone, ANYONE used them as provided.
>>
>> Now that they merely rust on the shelf, I can not disagree
>> that turning them off at the ends of the chain could possibly
>> do any damage, especially with the far more capable digital
>> broadcast model just around the proverbial corner.
>>

>I can disagree on several points. One is why you shun GPS, how else can
>a receiver know where it is and which code is applipacble. I speak of
>automobile and portable sets.

 I don't shun GPS, but I do see it as over-kill.
 Not so much the hardware, as much as the entire national database,
 and the code, and the processor, to manage it, plus updates and changes.
 It would be simpler to simply grab an RDS data
 stream, or similar, from the area "most listended to" or some such, and
 not have all that database management headache and expense in the
 consumer product.

>I submit the duck farts are no necessary any where. As many have stated
>and a number of other implemented, a back channel is the most effective
>way to handle this.

 Presently, but in the begining it was not so.
 The provision was made to trigger consumer electronics.
 That's the primary purpose. The daisy-chain triggering
 was a freebie off of that as an alternate to other means.
 That it became the sole means is the fault of the general
 broadcast community, for ignoring the two years to
 suggest and improve.

>Station to station relay is and was a bad Idea. No
>offense intended it that was YOUR bad idea.

 None taken.

 That part wasn't my idea. It already existed. ( remember EBS ? )
 I did say "pretty much verbatim" and I meant not totally.
 My proposal included alternate means of delivery, both redundant,
 and potentially completely off broadcast, such that two sources, but
 ANY two ( or more ) sources would be authorized, such as NWS and ARES.
 Any non-broadcast relay was rejected by the commission.
 I was most hurt at their complete refusal to even consider Amateur
 radio as a potentially viable alternate.
 ( Sage had something to do with that as I recall )
 Also rejected were things like NWS and dedicated wire line as two sources.
 ( again Sage. They were actively against NWS being a viable part at all )
 My proposal did not EXclude broadcast daisy chain, but did allow for
 other alternates, including any two sources that could be shown to the
 satisfaction of the FCC to have the reliability.
 I still think that would have been better, but when the time for discussion
 was over, it was over.
 Not to give up so easily, my ex-parte nearly demanded two years
 for broadcasters to suggest a better idea.
 That part WAS codified in the interim R&O, but no broadcasters suggested
 anything. The final R&O came two years later, just as I had asked.

 Yall had two freekin years !! What did you do with that time ?

>Moving forward,

 Please.

>I think EAS should me mandated as a part of the digital
>stream in IBOC both data and low bit rate audio.

 On that, we are in complete agreement.
 ( now, you'll get hate mail from Sage as well. You do realize that ? )

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

E Pluribus Unix