[BC] Building an audience

Rich Wood richwood
Fri Oct 14 11:58:15 CDT 2005

------ At 09:34 AM 10/14/2005, cldube wrote: -------

>Could it be safely said that if Rush didn't create the clamor, the
>others would not have made it to where they are now?

Yes and no. Possibly maybe. The rise of Talk Radio to a dominant
format can be linked to Limbaugh. AM may be in trouble but Talk
isn't. However, if there hadn't been a Rush there would have been
someone else. For all we know it could have been a raving Liberal if
he had been entertaining. We had a Liberal well before Rush. At ABC
we had Michael Jackson (the one with two gloves). We syndicated him
for years before Rush. Trouble was, he was genteel. He had a South
African accent (mistaken for British) and actually had guests and
insulted no one. Rush came along and took the time slot just before
Michael, banged pots and pans, did parody songs and insulted every
minority he could find.

The show began to grow and stations moved him from weekends to
weekdays. That was the death of Jackson. The original 2 hour Limbaugh
show was noisy. It was followed on many stations by Jackson and all
became quiet and polite. Like falling off a cliff. Had Jackson been
scheduled before Limbaugh things might have been different. We'll never know.

I don't believe any of the late comers have the talent to have done
what Rush did. Hannity is just plain dumb and pretty. Savage is just
savage. O'Reilly is ... nobody really knows. None have the showbiz
flair Limbaugh brought to the table.

I do believe, if Rush hadn't come on the scene, someone would have.
God knows we were all looking.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia