[BC] EAS

Scott Cason scott
Fri Oct 14 08:25:49 CDT 2005

>>NOAA weather radios could fit this bill, but the transmitter
network needs to be beefed up considerably (too many holes in coverage
presently).

I understand they are working on it.  Big holes especially out west.  I have
three NOAA radios, one in my den, bedroom and a portable one I carry with
me.  I have given them out to family and friends as Christmas presents
already programmed to the frequency and SAME codes they live in.  It's the
first, best, and really only line of defense for the type of weather we get
in the south east with tornados, severe thunderstorms and floods.  I will
not depend on the broadcast media to relay information like that.  I have
seen the inner workings of too many of them around here.

>>I'm probably not the only one saying this, but I've come to the conclusion
that EAS has no place on Broadcast Radio or TV.

I think it has a place.  It's another channel to disseminate the
information.  However it should not be solely relied upon.  Just like your
news, you should also depend on more than one outlet for the information.

>>Car radios, clock radios, and TV's need to be designed to monitor these
frequencies, so when an emergency message for your area is received, they
will turn on if necessary and switch to the emergency message.

It's funny, but the RDBS system has this capability.  However for some
reason, broadcasters shunned the system until satcasters came out with
artist and title display.  Now, RDS is hot again.  But still not living up
to the potential.  I also think IBOC has this feature, but we all can see
where the IBOC road is leading <eye roll>.

>>We're wasting valuable time and resources with the current system. It's a
rat hole.

For the most part, I have to agree with you.  But the people in Washington
wanted to feel like they were doing something for us, doing us a "favor", in
giving us a system that, while better than the old EBS, still falls short of
what modern technology will allow us to do today.

Scott Cason
LaGrange Communications, LLC
502-213-0024
www.lagrange-com.com