[BC] bird smaple thing...

Alan Alsobrook radiotech
Fri Oct 14 06:17:24 CDT 2005

Burt,
I bought one on a happen chance and have been trying it out.. It's
worked great. I got a Bird 4274-025 and have used in 3" line up to 25 KW
without any problems or degradation. I know it shows it's rated at 500W
but I think that rating is just due to the limitation of the Bird 43
line section.  I swept it in both a 1 5/8" section and a 3" line
section, and found it to have a flat +-3db frequency response from 25
Mhz - 1 GHz. It must have some sort of frequency compensation in it. I
called and talked with bird to see if I could get an estimate of how
much power was safe to use it with (thinking there must be a freq. comp
in it) and they were unable to give me an answer. The Coupling is not as
  close as you want. I think it was -63db in the 3" section and -57db in
the 1-5/8 line section. (that's going from memory I do have the actual
sweep runs recorded) the the exact coupling values my be slighting
different. but either way it's not the -50 as stamped on the plug and
it gets less as the line size get larger. I was also surprised that even
though the pickup is T shaped (they put on a transparent covering so you
can actually see the element on this one), their seemed to be no effect
   as it was rotated.

It's the last item on this page.
https://tessco.com/products/displayProducts.do?groupId=470&subgroupId=10

PS.. I'm keeping mine!! :)