[BC] Saving Your Own Life /was/ Tech. competence

Cowboy curt
Thu Oct 13 10:13:14 CDT 2005

On Wednesday 12 October 2005 09:42 pm, Phil Alexander wrote:

>However, all things considered, I'll let the j-stick complete the circuit
>before I touch it even if the sniffer can't "smell" a field.

 ABSOLUTELY !

 There's still the issue of that couple kilovolts lurking across
 the open bleeder.
 A sniffer is great for AC, but not near sensitive enough
 for some potentially fatal levels of DC.

 They call me nuts when I grab the automotive jumper cables
 and use 'em as a J-stick.
 They look sideways if the auto jumpers arn't available, and I substitute
 a Radio Shack clip lead.

 Fine. I'm a live nut !

 Yes, I've vaporized a few Radio Shack clip leads that way, which tells me
 two things.
 1. There was a fatal potential there.
 2. It's not completely discharged, and I need another cliplead BEFORE
  going any further.

 I trust my fall arrests. Trust 'em to hurt me, even if they do work as designed !
 Still, better than a fall.
 I trust my lanyard, but check it with my feet less than 2 feet above terra firma,
 EVERY time.

 A great man once said "Trust, but verify."
 When it's MY ass, you can trust that I'll verify !
 ( and at that stage, I don't really care what your budget, or time line might be )

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

The fortune program is supported, in part, by user contributions and by
a major grant from the National Endowment for the Inanities.