[BC] EAS

Keith Hammond monsterfm
Thu Oct 13 01:34:15 CDT 2005

Jerry Mathis wrote:

> I'm probably not the only one saying this, but I've come to
> the conclusion
> that EAS has no place on Broadcast Radio or TV. Why? Because
> it only reaches
> those who happen to be listening/watching at that given
> instant. If it's
> 2:30 AM, very few people will get the warning.

  This is true but, you're advocating leaving US (the broadcasters)
completely out of the loop! This will only further add to the illusion
that broadcast radio and TV is only a source of meaningless drivel and,
in order to get "fast-breaking facts and information", the public simply
MUST turn to another (the inference will be) "more responsible source".

> There needs to be a dedicated frequency/frequencies set
> nationwide for EAS,
> and radios specifically made for that purpose need to be
> designed, built,
> and sold. NOAA weather radios could fit this bill, but the
> transmitter
> network needs to be beefed up considerably (too many holes in
> coverage
> presently).

  Or, just do what we've both discussed in the past: Build a (mandatory)
EAS decoder into each receiver that is always and forever (except in the
case of battery operated walkmans and the such) monitoring a local
broadcast outlet (who will hopefully be responsible enough to relay
pertinent information) and will un-mute on receipt of a valid alert for
the given area. THIS would hopefully impress upon the audience that
broadcast outlets ARE as important and as intent on local service as
ever! (It would also NOT require the addition of yet another RF
front-end and all of the associated - extra cost - circuits in our
receivers and don't forget about the costs of beefing up that VHF
network of transmitters.)

  OK, call me "greedy" if you like. I just don't want people who listen
to my stations to get the impression that "The music is good but, the
government had to snatch my radio control away from me so I could listen
to something serious while the radio station kept playing music..."

  Generally, we cover local news and information in much more detail
that NOAA or any government agency would even begin to consider. I'd
like for those listeners to keep listening! (Seriously, I've been
personally caught - on the air - in the middle of reading a tornado
warning for the *THIRD* TIME when the EAS will kick-in and broadcast
it's version of the warning for the FIRST time. Since it gives almost 10
seconds of warning before snatching audio from the local board, I
usually just say something like "We'll be back with in-depth local
coverage as soon as the weather service tells you what I've been telling
you for the past several minutes...")

  My vote would be to add a decoder to the receivers that we already
have. As I've stated before, I've demoed an EAS receiver here and the
reaction is always the same, "OK. I'll buy one as soon as it's $29.95
like the one at Radio Shack." (Never mind the fact that, although it
MIGHT add $5.00 to the cost, the one at Radio Shack ONLY receives
NOAA... Which is NOT available in our area and is not "in the works"
anytime soon even though I've offered to provide tower space, the
transmitter, the generator and the antenna!)

Keith Hammond

KBKH-FM (Shamrock, Texas)

(806) 256-1221