[BC] EAS

Jerry Mathis thebeaver32
Thu Oct 13 00:42:27 CDT 2005

And a big "Amen" to that.

I'm probably not the only one saying this, but I've come to the conclusion
that EAS has no place on Broadcast Radio or TV. Why? Because it only reaches
those who happen to be listening/watching at that given instant. If it's
2:30 AM, very few people will get the warning.

There needs to be a dedicated frequency/frequencies set nationwide for EAS,
and radios specifically made for that purpose need to be designed, built,
and sold. NOAA weather radios could fit this bill, but the transmitter
network needs to be beefed up considerably (too many holes in coverage
presently).

Car radios, clock radios, and TV's need to be designed to monitor these
frequencies, so when an emergency message for your area is received, they
will turn on if necessary and switch to the emergency message. Yes, this
feature needs to be mandated. Take your $250 million and subsidize the
design and implementation of this idea.

We're wasting valuable time and resources with the current system. It's a
rat hole.

Jerry Mathis
Clear Channel Radio, Tupelo & Meridian MS