[BC] Problems that make you want to scream!

Alan Alsobrook radiotech
Wed Oct 12 15:17:27 CDT 2005

cldube wrote:
>> transmitter is on we have no audio. Here we go again, I get down their
>> as fast as I can. I find the following The STL receiver has no receive
>> signal, looking at the STL feed line with the SA I see other STL signals
>
> Since the SA didn't see YOUR carrier- we know you're not transmitting at
> this point.

Or not transmitting on the Correct frequency, I looked for that too :)

I didn't mention that when the jock called at 0600 the STL transmitter
was indicating RF output. When I arrived it was not.

>> studio problem.. When I get inside the STL transmitter has no rf
>> output. Since I brought another STL-10 with me I quickly pull them
>> apart and swap crystals and tune up the backup transmitter. Slip in in
>> the rack and turn it on, everything looks fine except still no audio.
>
> Can you check your reflected power during failure times? This will
> confirm whether or not the tx antenna system is involved.

Yes, reflected and forward power remain the same working vs/not working.
But does it confirm the TX line and antenna are not at fault?  Obviously
if their was a shift you would know to suspect the line & antenna. The
question is can you dismiss them because their wasn't a change. I do
want to resweep the txline and antenna while it seems to be working and
see if I can see any change in characteristics.  At 950 MHz it's
possible that a carbon sooty connector could be providing a load,
rendering the VSWR readings meaningless.

>>  Dash back to the tower to  check, Nope it's hooked up and nothing..
>> Of course I didn't bring the SA with me, it's at the studio where I
>> was setting up the STL transmitter.
> Did you see any receive signal indication at this point?

Nope not a drip.

> Since we now know that you are transmitting (do you have a scanner or
> something to confirm you are modulating your STL 100% of the time?), at least that you have a
> carrier, confirm that at your receive antenna
> and then focus on the signal path from that antenna backwards.
> Unfortunately it'll probably have to fail again before you can find the
> trouble. You have changed one potential failure point- the transmitter.
> If your cable and antenna seem OK and can't be forced into failing at
> the studio end, you can now focus your energies on the receiving end.
> Obviously this is a case of multiple faults happening, each one
> resulting in the same thing- an unreliable STL.

That's for sure.. I confirmed a STL TX failure, You would normally think
that was enough. I'll go back this evening and replace the STL receiver.
I would have really been happy if I had had the SA with me to see if I
was receiving the STL at the tower site when it was failing. That of
course would have confirmed an intermittent receiver. Since I wasn't
able to do that it still leaves doubts as to 100% for sure where the
problem is.

--
Alan Alsobrook CSRE AMD CBNT
St. Augustine Fl. 32086 904-829-8885