[BC] Emergency supplies

Gary Peterson kzerocx
Wed Oct 12 09:18:04 CDT 2005

>I keep several pounds of dry-roasted peanuts, a case of bottled
water, blankets, candles, T.P., extra flashlight batteries and a kerosene
heater with fuel.  It's cheap insurance for survival.  I hope I never have
to use it.

-----------

" Pretty good.  I hope your building is impervious to rodents.  At one site
where I put in time, mice would gnaw through my plastic water jugs.  I had
to use glass jugs with metal lids.  And, how would you keep them away from
all those peanuts?  IMWTK.  Thanx.

Glen Kippel
KHCS
Palm Desert, CA "

Glen,

I have not found any sign of rodents in the TX bldg.  If any do get in,
there are what I call "sticky traps".  These are little plastic trays filled
with real gooey stuff and covered with, presumably, tasty seeds.  When a
rodent saunters up for an easy meal, they get stuck.  I used to use D-Con,
but then the poisoned critter crawls into some piece of equipment to die.
The "sticky traps" work very well at my prairie sites where field mice are
common.  I just toss the trap+vermin outside, where it biodegrades.

My mountaintop site doesn't seem to have mice...just chipmunks.  Nothing has
bothered the bottled water.  The peanuts are in metal cans.  IIRC, I got the
canned nuts at Sam's Club.  Emergency supplies need to be kept at this site,
because it is often necessary to snowshoe in the last 3/4 mile.  It doesn't
help if a freak storm prevents getting back to the vehicle.  I keep similar
supplies in my Jeep.  I could be stranded in it, too.  I was just thinking
that some canned soup would be good to add to the transmitter larder.  OTOH,
canned beans, although being a good source of protein, could be somewhat
devastating.

Gary Peterson, K?CX
Rapid City/Sturgis, SD