[BC] (Off-Topic) Audiovault help needed....

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Wed Oct 12 08:31:13 CDT 2005

In a message dated 10/12/2005 9:14:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
smichaels at b951fm.com writes:

>  Brand new AV2 system is locking up at random intervals.  We have spent
>  hours going through everything in the system--BE sent a new ONAIR machine,
>  up and running yesterday, locked up this morning at 1:20am.  Anybody else
>  having issues with AV2?

Since the problem has been repeated with all-new hardware, it's gotta be
software-related.

One issue I had noted with mine is that Windows XP seems to really get
confused when you try to access a shortcut in a folder from another machine. (IOW,
you are logged into the "AUDIO" folder from another box and there is a shortcut
to "WAVS" inside the "AUDIO" folder. When you click the "WAVS" shortcut,
hoping to go to the "WAVS" folder... Blam!) I found that this was causing my
machines to lock-up. (Both of them.) The cure: Remove all shortcuts from within
folders, and make direct shortcuts on the other machines on the LAN.

Another thing to examine: What is logged to occur at 1:20am? I was having
other mysterious failures that I eventually traced to a bad command.
(Unfortunately, I've forgotten what it was.) Carefully check the syntax of every command
in your logs, your net delay lists, control playlists, etc. Tedious, I know,
but it could be the cause of your headaches, and well-worth pursuing. If it does
turn-out to be a mistyped command, be sure to let BE know about it, so that
they can have their developers re-code the portion of the software that is
choking on it.

You may also want to check the cooling of the PC's. Some Dells are
inadequately cooled. Add a fan or two, and make sure there is plenty of air circulation
around the machines. If the room (or rack, cabinet, etc.) where they are
located is too warm, that will almost certainly give them fits.

>  Regarding the list-too much BS and not enough engineering.  BTW, Matt
Howell
>  is one of the best and brightest engineers in the business, and I agree
with
>  his assessment of what has happened to the discussions on this forum.  Look
>  at the archives and you'll see much less politics and much more
engineering,
>  which is why I joined.

Agreed. The S/N ratio has been higher than normal, and mea culpa. I'm turning
up the squelch on this end. :)

I hope you can get to the bottom of your AV issues. Please keep us posted. I
love the AV system, and will be happy to offer any advice I can to help get
you back on track.

Willie...
C.E. WFIF