[BC] WTIR 1300 Was Heard in Miami!!

Alan Kline akline
Tue Oct 11 21:31:56 CDT 2005

------ At 09:40 PM 10/11/2005 EDT, The Most Honourable WFIFeng at aol.com wrote: -------
>In a message dated 10/11/2005 7:24:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>akline at netins.net writes:
>
>> Last night, just for fun, I started tuning around the AM band on my 30+
>year
>> old
>>  Radio Shack Flavoradio.  Sitting here in Des Moines, Iowa, I managed to
>pick
>> up
>>  WJR Detroit.  Not too bad for the old radio...
>
>LOL! A Flavoradio! I usually use that as a prime example of typical crummy
>receiver design... a single-stage IF that pretty much can't hear anything below
>2 mv.

That's why I was so surprised to pick up WJR!  It's an ok little radio for
the locals--it helps to be just under 10 miles from WHO's blowtorch--but it's
never exactly been a DX wonder...

BTW...when was the last time anyone saw a consumer radio with the schematic
pasted inside the battery compartment cover?

ak