[BC] Satellite EAS

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Mon Oct 10 23:45:05 CDT 2005

In a message dated 10/10/2005 11:33:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mrfixit at min.midco.net writes:

> Completely? Are you sure? (I'm not, that's why I ask and ponder). I'd think
>  that internal arcing would occur similar to the effect of putting it into a
>  microwave oven. However, at this point it's a moot point (except for the
few
>  audiophiles that still use small tubes which would be the ones most at risk
>  I'd guess.

A tube can take a considerable amount of abuse before it becomes inoperative.
Worst-case scenario, it would cause an internal arc. Since the pulse duration
is only microseconds, it wouldn't do much (if any) damage. Chances are VERY
good that most tube equipment will survive EMP unscathed. Solid state
rectifiers may or may not, though. If they have capacitors across them, they might.

Willie...