[BC] Satellite EAS

RON DOT'O SR. ron_doto
Mon Oct 10 23:44:57 CDT 2005

I'd like to share some of the EMP stuff I learned in USAF, Army and FEMA schools.

Back in the 80's FEMA wanted to harden the EBS stations against EMP and conducted schools to certify CE's and contractors (I was one of the contractors) as EMP analysts.

You would do a survey of the station and submit it to FEMA for approval.  After approval they would send you the components to harden the station and pay a flat fee for the survey and installation.

I was also a USAF Disaster Preparedness Technician and later an Army NBC NCO and attended several service schools.

EMP is a lot like a lightning strike that hits everywhere rather than just one spot.  It is also a lot faster than lightning.

Its energy is dispersed in a wide band of frequencies, with the higher frequencies being the weakest.

It will induce high voltages in long wire AND grounded conduit runs.  The longer the run the higher the voltage and vice-versa.

The pulse comes in on power and phone lines and long wire antennas.

Being a very high voltage it will arc all over the place including light switches and open circuit breakers.  You probably won't get any warning so you won't have time to unplug appliances, computers etc.  About the only hope you have is to have fast reaction devices (MOV's, Zenners, gas gaps) with a GOOD drain to ground to bypass the pulse.

Many fires will be started and pole transformers explode and spray burning transformer oil on nearby buildings starting other fires.  911 will be out of business and the fire department overwhelmed over a very wide area.  It would be best to be out in the country on a picnic rather than in town.

The pulse is produced by the downward component of a high altitude nuclear detonation  which ionizes the upper atmosphere thus generating a high voltage pulse which is directed toward the earth in a conical fashion.

Directly under the location of the pulse has the highest voltage.  Locations on the outer edges of the cone have a lesser induced voltage.

The smaller the metallic area the smaller charge it will accrue, so putting things like HT's, Radiacs, iPods etc in a metal box or locker should be safe.  Cars with metal bodies and standard ignitions will probably be safe too.  Metal cars with electronic ignitions to some extent should make it through too if not directly under the pulse.  I wouldn't want a 'Vette at that point but seeing as the wiring is fairly short some of them might make it through.

Tube type radios and amp's will be much more tolerant than solid state stuff if they're not plugged in.  Anything plugged in will be fried.

Ron Dot'o
Salem, OR.