[BC] Re: Satellite EAS

R J Carpenter rcarpen
Mon Oct 10 18:37:48 CDT 2005

I attended some meetings of an IEEE backplane bus standards committee
a couple of decades ago.  Telephone people also attended.  I was
surprised at how seriously they considered blast / earthquake / etc
damage to central office equipment.  I don't remember. but I'd guess
that EMP was also on their list though shielding by the building might
help.

That was before fibre with dispersed electronics feeding the "last
mile" and before almost all phones had become electronic.

rc