[BC] RE: Not any more

harold stanton k5gvr
Sat Oct 8 23:56:12 CDT 2005

Mike,
That wasn't a bashing of CC or you.
  It was simply my remembrances of a time when each station had a FULL
staff, engineers, jocktypes and people in each department that served a
single outlet.
   Now I ain't livin' in the past, and I know full well the needs of small
and medium markets, as that is where I make my money, TV specially.
But on the whole a local owner, that has to face the local community is far
more sensitive of the "community" needs.
Programming interviews wouldn't be commanded as necessary to renewals
otherwise.
As to my thoughts on consolidators, CC and a few others have invested in the
hardware necessary for reliable transmission, and added the niche
programming that seems to target the audiences that are of value.
Unattended operations in many small markets may be the only way to
"economically" operate.
But to have no one listening, such as the "Super-talk" repeater does here,
which is nearly in my backyard, and spends many minutes of dead air when the
gear doesn't switch properly, is hardly serving the community nor any of the
advertisers which are the "triggered" events that always seem to work.
Silence sense, fine if there is someone to do somethong about it, useless if
there's nobody home.
That's why I post very little, as I can seem to be getting up a hissy fit
when all I wish to say is it was somewhat more personable in the past.
                                       Harold