NOT....Re: [BC] Clear Channel Wants More?

harold stanton k5gvr
Sat Oct 8 17:55:51 CDT 2005

Wow, have I been holding on to my fingertips...........
I hardly EVER post, but like many othe lurkers I read the "mail'  just to
see the general flow of comments.
Mike,
When I started in Meridian (and this does go back 40 years, and I AM THE ONE
THAT TURNED WDAL which spawned the "Q" to rock and roll) and was the nite
jock and ENGINEER for WMOX and the ACE during the build of Channel 24 at the
same time driving an ambulance and working the morning shift at then WDAL
(all to say I know that market DAMN well). I started this career at WMOX....
That market had FIVE well run radio stations and TWO well run TV's... all
had a minunm of two "first phones" as TV had to have seven and WMOX had
seven.At WDAL we had four even tho it was a daytime non-d.
And evry damn one of 'em could fix something......work a board shift and got
paid pretty damn well for the market size.
When "small market EDDIE'" became the head of the NAB he ran a bunch of CRAP
operations in north MS and being that he couldn't find help to work for 45's
and trade out gas that was the beginning of the end of respectable
engineering and the reqiurements of same.
Sure, at WMOX and even the WOKK they had a couple of "ELkin'S" GRADUATES,
BUT WHEN THEY CAME BACK FROM "SCHOOL" THEY COULD ACTUALLY READ A METER!
The current wave of consolidation has given us fifty signals with CRAP on
every one and nobody home on the weekends.

Your guys and gals did do a magnificent job in
Hattiesburg.................and I ain't suckin' up there as I helped to
contribute to their effort, but not that many years ago there would have
been REAL people in the news booth and some adult supervision of the kids.

My business success has been mainly on the missing "backs" of the engineers
that are no longer there, and again I ain't bitchin' cause I work for
myself, but having worked for "managers" like Dana had 1 time too many I
decided I would put up with the crap no more.

if you can justify what the "consolidators" have done as a good thing then
you aren't old enogh to have known any better, I wasn't able to judge your
age when we met but you are younger than me, believe me the business was
better off with five good, locally owned signals that each owner had to go
on the street to sell time and face the same people in church every Sunday.

That very thing would probably cut out the "offensive" stuff all by itself.