NOT....Re: [BC] Clear Channel Wants More?

Mike Gideon mikegideon
Sat Oct 8 14:09:17 CDT 2005

Dana,

I don't disagree that those situations exist. And, I agree that we use the
same equipment across all markets, but a small market economy is the same no
matter who owns the stations. We have people on staff in most of the smaller
markets because we usually own enough stations to justify it. That doesn't
mean that these stations have major market billing.

I'll use Jerry Mathis for an example. Jerry has 13 stations. His role is not
the same as a major market chief. Jerry was hired to replace a contract
engineering firm because he could devote more time to those stations than
the contractors did. Those markets can't afford 13 engineers, so the level
of service has to be adjusted accordingly. Jerry is a full time employee,
and has the ability to help direct budgets. The economy in those markets is
what it is, so Jerry is tasked with keeping those stations running with a
lot more available time than the previous contract engineers. He is NOT
expected to provide the level of service that our five person staff in
Memphis provides. Rewind 20 years, those markets didn't have much more
technical manpower than they do now, and they were maintaining analog tape
and the typical small market junk throughout.

The point is that those markets, no matter how far away they are from your
ideal model, are getting more competent engineering than they have in the
past. If Jerry gets in trouble, the cavalry is a phone call away. Jerry will
tell you that he isn't expected to work seven days a week (unless there's a
hurricane), and that the key to his success is finding the problems, fixing
them right, and not wasting a lot of time on things that aren't part of the
scope of work.

My personality won't let me be somebody's bitch, no matter how much I love
radio. I'll pound nails first. It happened once (BTW, in a major market) and
I walked.

Advice:

1. If you're feelin' abused, look at yourself first. Are you devoting your
time to the expectations of the job (you did discuss expectations, right)?
2. If you are overwhelmed, TALK to your GM about the expectations vs.
available resources
3. If you can't get anywhere with your GM, talk to your regional engineer.
If you don't have a regional, go buy a hammer and nail pouch.
4. If none of the above works, then you're in the wrong job (or you're the
wrong guy).