[BC] TV tower kills birds

khcs@juno.com khcs
Sat Oct 8 11:50:15 CDT 2005

Ballard recalled:

>Don't forget the number of squirrels killed by the power company's poles.

Yeah -- they probably had it coming!  <g>

About 30 years ago we (KAPX San Clemente) were off the air, and I discovered that the power was out to the transmitter site.  What happened was, hawks had built a nest on a power pole on the line going up to the site.  The rains came, which dissolved the mud those bird-brains had used to hold their nest together.  The nest came crashing down on the lines, shorting them out.  That meant half of San Clemente was without power for 12 hours.  Not fun.  Let's ban birds, not towers!

Glen Kippel
KHCS
Palm Desert, CA