NOT....Re: [BC] Clear Channel Wants More?

Mike Gideon mikegideon
Fri Oct 7 13:59:19 CDT 2005

Dana,

I see a lot of respect for engineers out there. A smart GM (and there are
still a lot of them) realizes that engineers are a huge factor in the big
picture. I have it easier than some. It comes from the top in my region. I
can't think of one of my GM's that doesn't have the proper respect for
engineering. If the problem does crop up somewhere, I'm on the phone with
the GM.

Budgets are a reality, so you can't staff a small market cluster the same
way you staff a big market. But, there are practical minimums that have to
be communicated. When it comes to budget cuts, it also has to be
communicated that the expectations for engineering should be adjusted
according to staffing.

----- Original Message -----
From: "DANA PUOPOLO" <dpuopolo at usa.net>
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2005 9:45 AM
Subject: Re: NOT....Re: [BC] Clear Channel Wants More?

I don't think that CC (or anyone in particular) has killed the farm system.
What I DO think has happened is that compared to other disciplines of
engineering, radio has become the most work at the poorest pay. Even worse,
what I call the "recognition factor" has dropped significantly. Years back,
you had staffs and managers that appreciated and respected engineers. They
were seen as part of the team and treated accordingly. Today's managers see
them as cost centers to be eliminated where possible (and who decides
whether
they're necessary? The clueless manager!).

Unfortunately, it's the big companies who have put many of the clueless into
power at radio stations. Indeed, I consider many officers at the big
consolidators to be totally ignorant about radio themselves. All they know
is
spreadsheets and the next quarter's guidance. They'd likely sell all their
radio stations and invest in cookies if it made the company more profit.
They
are NOT broadcasters!

When I worked at CC Tucson, our four stations got 40+ cents of every dollar
spent in that market. The regional VP rewarded the manager by firing her.
Two
years (and two managers) later they owned seven stations there and their
revenue had dropped to under 20 cents! Half the staff either quit or was let
go by the second GM who tried to cook the books by slashing expenses. I
believe that at one point they had NO engineer for months! They still have
not
recovered, even though they hired back the original GM - who had never
should
have been fired in the first place.

What happened to that VP? He got PROMOTED!!

How do YOU spell Peter Principle?

I'm not singling CC out here. I'm sure that this happens routinely at other
companies too. The reason that radio engineering sucks so bad as a career is
that general managers suck so bad. The good GM's are retiring and clueless
sales whores are taking their places.

Add to this that the "show biz" allure of radio is almost completely gone
and
it's no wonder why young engineers don't go into radio any more as a career.
After all, we're the educated, intelligent ones. Why would we want to work
at
a place where there's poor pay AND we get abused?

Yes, there are exceptions to this. Probably quite a few in fact. BUT please
remember this: Though you might be working for one of the great managers
today, they might get fired this afternoon and tomorrow you might find
yourself working for a completely clueless asshole!

Don't think so? It's happened to me at least twice.....

-D