[BC] RE: TV tower kills birds

Linc Reed-Nickerson w7hie
Thu Oct 6 22:22:28 CDT 2005

Back in the days of manned TV transmitters I lived at the WOWK transmitter
in Huntington, WV.  We had two towers, 800 and 1049 ft.  We would see
evidence of bird strikes, but only a few at the height of the migration
season.

At WPXI (then WIIC) they had a GE Helix antenna.  Goldfinches loved to roost
on it during migration season.  At sign on it would often rain dead birds,
but still not in the numbers posted here.

Then there was they time I flew through a flock of sparrows in a Cessna 310,
which was much better than the time I encountered the buzzards at 10,000 ft
on climb out from Albuquerque.

Linc Reed-Nickerson