[BC] TV tower kills birds

Ron Youvan ka4inm
Thu Oct 6 19:06:04 CDT 2005

> Is this just some sort of anomaly, or is this more common than I thought?
> In the 15+ years I have been in broadcasting (I'm a neophyte- I know) I
> have yet to see
> a dead bird at the tower site, and I've been to a few. Is this a
> regional issue?

   As far as I know it occurs at towers in the migratory path of coveys
of birds.  After 40 years I have only found dead birds Dangling from
the razor wire.

> Has this been a problem at any military installations? Cutler, ME  for
> instance (they seemed to have had some rather large guy wires)?

> I have, however, seen scores of them over time on the grounds adjacent
> to glass high rise office buildings.
> Perhaps this needs to be addressed as well?

   I have known plate glass windows on/in living rooms that begged for a
line of bushel baskets under them.

> I don't mean to be flippant. It seems that broadcast towers get singled
> out in this issue.  Well, broadcast towers and wind mills.

   I agree.  It's like some people believe earth's warming northern
hemisphere is just from human fossil fuel uses causing environmental
harm, that don't understand the 14,000 year temporal changes that will
bring snow and freezing weather to Australia and 120 highs to Chicago.
(in another 4 or 5 K years)  Or the recent active hurricane seasons
are the natural crest of the 30 year cycle.
--
    Ron