[BC] RE: 1974 versus 2004

khcs@juno.com khcs
Thu Oct 6 13:26:09 CDT 2005

Rob wrote:

>1974  STL
2004 ISDN

1974 Spinning vinyl
2004 Spinning up the hard drive

1974 Rip and read
2004 Nothing to rip

-----------------------

14 years ago I came up with this analogy:

The early days of radio was pretty much all live.  This corresponds with the time before the invention of writing.

Then came disk recording, more or less similar to stone or clay tablets.

After that we went to tape recording.  Think of paper and pencil.  Now you could erase stuff.

Cart machines, like a manual typewriter.

Early switch-based automation compares to an electric typewriter.

Digital automation systems more or less = a word processor.  You now have the freedom to move items around, copy them, etc.

Glen Kippel
KHCS
Palm Desert, CA