[BC] Satellite EAS

DANA PUOPOLO dpuopolo
Thu Oct 6 09:57:33 CDT 2005

Look...

The ground based repeaters are GAP FILLERS ONLY. The primary signal source is
satellites. Even IF you put EAS on the ground based transmitters, it's likely
that OVER HALF the receivers in a given city are listening to the SATELLITES!
This being true, WHAT'S THE POINT - so HALF the people get the alerts and the
other half don't?

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: RokprtMike at aol.com
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: Re: [BC] Satellite EAS

In a message dated 10/5/2005 9:23:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:

My  thought? They are a satellite service. If they have any terra
based  repeaters, they are no longer a satellite service, from that
repeater, no  more than a local AM that is 24 hour sat fed. That terra
based repeater IS  THE TRANSMITTER, fed from outer space.

As such, every  terra repeater should have the electronics in it to
monitor, log and  transmit all EAS activity in that market. There has to
be RWT's, RMT's,  and of course, proper logging. I do not feel that the
satellite uplink  needs any EAS on it. Just the repeaters.

Good point. Why are satellite providers allowed Terra sites for anyway?
Their service was designated to be sat to auto or home. When Sirius was being,
went across the street with one of the consultants to a tour. I asked him how

it  was going to work in large cities that had buildings blocking their
signals?  There was no mention of Terra transmitters, but had to be part of
the plan
all  along.

Terrestrial radio is not on a level playing field, satellite radio is given
a dual advantage for one reason or another. You can receive them from space
or on the ground in many areas.

Mike Hemeon
NBC Principal Engineer, Satellite Systems (RET)