[BC] Satellite EAS

Dan Kelley djkelley
Wed Oct 5 20:35:58 CDT 2005

I'm sure the satellite guys would be able to accommodate to pass
scruitiny by doing EAS on a separate stream, interrupting whatever
channel the consumer was listening to on a regional basis.

I'm sure it could be done.  Case closed.

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of Tom Bosscher
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 6:36 PM
To: Broadcast Radio Mailing List
Subject: Re: [BC] Satellite EAS

Mike McCarthy wrote:

>Almost two dozen legislators have written to FCC Chairman Kevin Martin
>to ask that satellite radio be required to deliver emergency
>information to its subscribers.

    My thought? They are a satellite service. If they have any terra
based repeaters, they are no longer a satellite service, from that
repeater, no more than a local AM that is 24 hour sat fed. That terra
based repeater IS THE TRANSMITTER, fed from outer space.

    As such, every terra repeater should have the electronics in it to
monitor, log and transmit all EAS activity in that market. There has to
be RWT's, RMT's, and of course, proper logging. I do not feel that the
satellite uplink needs any EAS on it. Just the repeaters.

    I'm not asking the sat boys to do anything that I don't do. Whats
good for one...

    tom bosscher