NOT....Re: [BC] Clear Channel Wants More?

Gary Zocolo ambrose
Wed Oct 5 16:53:48 CDT 2005

The smaller groups that are doing well operate on a different business model
than the giant guys. I believe that there is fundamental over-optimism in
the "continuous and significant revenue growth" to which virtually every
large owner-operator subscribes.

I am a broadcaster. My goal is to do my part to make excellent radio happen.
I am in favor of business doing well. I am in favor of a good ROI. I am not
enchanted with the growth projections with which some companies have
leveraged themselves into a corner.

I do not believe you can overcome the financial discrepancy (loss) by
cutting jobs, slicing costs, and operating at bare bones level.  I also do
not believe that acquiring more stations and operating them on the same
business model will save anybody. The method and model needs to be revised
in order to compete successfully on the local level. Competition on the
local level includes players that come from personal hard drives and
geo-synchronous orbits.

While I am at it, I will say that most of the CC facilities (and Cumulus
facilities in which I have helped in reconstruction) I have seen are
technical gems. If I had a choice of the way we did it 20 years ago vs
today....I would blow up my time machine.  Think about the condition of the
stations your group acquired as we ramped up consolidation.

Guys...we are in this together. It is in all of our best interests to
contribute what we can to a successful broadcast industry.