[BC] Sign of the times?

Mike McCarthy Towers
Wed Oct 5 07:48:34 CDT 2005

There is still the main studio rule which requires that a station have:

1) A physical point of presence located within 25 miles of the community of
license or the city grade contour of any Part 73 license with that
community of license, including a TV station. (loophole...being done
here...) which can place live programming on the station

2) A local phone number which either rings at the main studio or forwards
to the control point of the station. The rule is ambiguous as it relates to
the type of phone line being fixed or cellular. So long as the call is
considered a local call to those in the community of license.

3) A full time employee considered a manager who staffs that point of
presence on a regular basis during business hours, plus one other
employee--full or part time.

4) The Public File available for inspection during regular business hours.

A station which doesn't meet <all> of the above conditions is in violation
of the Main Studio rule. However. there is no requirement which states all
business be transacted from the main studio location. A truly mobile sales
force is not in violation and is actually becoming more common with
portable equipment and very diverse/dispersed field staff's which don't
require hard office space.  It's not that uncommon these days for companies
with large field staffs to have 2 or 3 people for every desk/cube and that
many cubes are pooled.  Their private files and such are either in
"lockers" or cabinets issued to the employee, and the phones programmed to
react to a password which the employee enters when "claiming" that cube for
the day.

None the less, the owners of this station are extending their necks out
pretty far into the guillotine if they are in violation of the main studio
rule.  That is one rule violation which the licensee has a hard time
proving their actions weren't "willful". And willful action that frequently
places licensee's candor in question.

MM

At 12:01 PM 10/4/2005 -0400, Mark Bulla wrote