[BC] call letters and their slogans

jaybraswell@bellsouth.net jaybraswell
Wed Oct 5 05:55:35 CDT 2005

> Is WLBA in Gainesville still around?  The calls stood for World's Largest
> Broiler Area (chickens).  Later was WNRJ, named for owner Norfleet R.
> Johnston.

It's still around, and it's still WLBA. It's Hispanic now.

> WFNE in Forsyth GA stood for We're Fun News & Entertainment (it's
> something
> else now).

WQMJ

> WBML in Macon was We'll Be Macon's Leader (now something else).

The WBML call sign is still in use in Macon, but it's now on AM 900. Ben
Porter, who was the longtime owner of the then WCRY, bought WBML (1240) from
Steve Bellinger, selling the 900 frequency. The WBML calls moved to 900,
which is southern gospel/preaching, and 1240 became WDDO, and it's black
gospel.

> WNEX calls in Macon allegedly came from a KleeNEX box when original owner
> was trying to come up with calls.

I'd always heard that old man Lowe wanted (and apparently requested) WNEW
(the NEW station in town), not knowing that there already was a WNEW.
Supposedly, he told the lawyer to "see if you can find something close",
which he did, and so you had WNE-X. I suppose this is how these urban
legends are created.