[BC] Clear Channel Wants More?

David Gleason david
Tue Oct 4 09:20:39 CDT 2005

Here is the part about ownership, reported by a journal which understands
radio...

Mays calls for more radio dereg
While critics in Washington say radio ownership deregulation has gone too
far already, Clear Channel Communications CEO Mark Mays used a speech
yesterday at the Progress and Freedom Foundation to call for further
deregulation so broadcasters can more effectively compete with satellite
radio. Specifically, he called for Congress to allow a single company to own
more than the current limit of eight stations in the largest markets - - 10
in markets with at least 60 stations and 12 in markets with at least 75
stations. "Free radio is struggling. The cost of competing with new
technologies and increased listener choice is staggering and profits are
down. Specifically, free radio needs Congress to relax outdated restrictions
on our operations," Mays said. Then he added, "Free radio is not asking for
much more room." The CCU CEO also declared that there was no "train wreck"
coming as the FCC investigates allegations of payola brought to light by New
York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer. Mays said 4-6 employees who were
investigated were bad actors, but most radio programmers are abiding by the
law.

The press often has trouble with the difference between billing, cash flow
and profits. Clear Channel intentionally reduced the commercial load of all
its stations to make them more competitive. They have not ended this... what
Mays actually said, and which Dow Jones messed up totally, was that they had
ended the implementation and all stations were now on the plan but that no
further reduction was planned. DJ makes it seem like the plan failed, which
is the oppostite of what has happenened.

In general, a horribly written article by a service that can do much better.

On the other hand, the industry in general is having a soft year, and Clear
is doing no better nor no worse than anyone else.