[BC] Re: Engineering school teachers

Ron Cole rondcole
Mon Oct 3 09:29:24 CDT 2005

On 10/2/05, Xmitters at aol.com <Xmitters at aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 10/1/05 4:24:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
> broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:
>
> << > Dunno about that...don't recall that the bottom 50% got weeded out
> the
> > 1st semester, but I'd say that roughly half the class did not return for
> > the 2nd year of classes. I thought I came away with a pretty good
> > education.
>
> It seems to me, he FAILED TO TEACH half of the people that signed up
> to learn from him/her. No?
> I think the school would be BETTER if they had a teacher/s that could
> teach ALL of the students that signed up (and paid) to learn. No?

Or is it that Half of the students failed to learn?

College is different from High School and that point has to be driven home
in the first semester.

All college engineering schools, that I know of, weed out about 50% of the
freshman class. Their experience has shown that its better to send a warning
to those not motivated to learn engineering select some other course of
study. Of that 50% who failed as engineers 75% or so change majors and the
rest drop out of school.

I knew lots of people that changed majors from Engineering to Business in
the first year at school, they just did not have the motivation to succeed.