[BC] The craziest radio person I've heard about

John Vodenik jvodenik
Sun Oct 2 11:31:37 CDT 2005

Alright, I can't take it anymore........from the days of radio with
pictures.....

After the before mentioned cannon we built at Channel 26, Chicago, when
things
got REALLY bad, we (the crew...mostly ME) would climb out on the ledge of
the building,
some 600 feet above the ground and throw used image orthacon tubes off the
ledge and listen to them explode in the parking lot.  Nothing between ume
and our maker
except 600 feet of thin air.

Then there was the 4th of July when our audio guy got high on silly weed,
and climbed
out on the roof to light sky rockets.  If you have seen the Board of trade
building in the loop,
he was sitting at the base of the statue of the Greek grain goddess.  That
cost us (the station)
our keys to the elevator motor room, where the antenna base was located. We
had to get
the building to open the place for us, for inspections.

Ahaaaa  for the good old days.

Not to be outdone, back at Bethany Relay, 3 of us built a spark gap
transmitter in the
electronics shop.  It was breadboarded on the workbench top.  We found it on
1340 Kc in
the AM band.  We could hear it 5 miles away with a car radio.  Caught the
table top on fire, and
burned the image of a MICA transmitting cap into it.  Great fun !!!  About
10 Kv and maybe
a 3/4" gap.  LOTZ of OZONE in the room.

Just your good time kid,
John @ VOA / Delano