[BC] Re: Another iBiquity goof

Sid Schweiger sid
Sat Oct 1 20:17:01 CDT 2005

>>Sid Schweiger (I think) wrote:

By the time the HD radio was designed for that model, it was already
obsolete<<

Yeah, that was me.

>>A major (and essential) feature of a digital radio is its high
software content. The software embedded in a properly designed digital
radio
can be upgraded periodically to rectify design flaws or to incorporate
improvements developed after the radio was produced. This capability is
essential in consumer products that cost hundreds of dollars and even
more
important in such consumer prducts when they are built into other
consumer
products that cost upwards of $40,000 (cars, for example). As far as I
know,
software upgrades are not envisioned in radios built to iBiquity's HD
Radio
standards, however. This is a truly fatal flaw and iBiquity deserves to
be
rewarded with bankruptcy for attempting to inflict such a stupid design
concept on the public.<<

Realistically:  Is the casual user...the button-pusher who is simply
looking to listen to something he/she likes...going to take the time and
effort to install software upgrades?  Or are they going to simply get
fed up with "this damn radio that's obsolete already!  Why did I spend
the money for this, when it won't do all this new stuff?  Wait a
minute...you're saying that *I* have to upgrade this radio myself?
Screw that!"

>>Mandating a USB (or comparable) port might be a better approach.<<

Again, I ask:  Who's going to make the time to do this?  Maybe iBiquity
realized that the casual user won't bother with software/firmware
upgrades.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom Boston LLC
WAAF - WEEI AM/FM - WMKK - WRKO - WVEI