More on -- Re: [BC] Help on VPN setup

Cowboy curt
Sat Oct 1 18:33:22 CDT 2005

On Friday 30 September 2005 22:53, Bruce Potterton - KSGN wrote:

> I can ping computers on the opposite site from each site (I can ping a
> computer on site A from B   and vic-versa),

 Ah, so then you CAN see the private block across the tunnel.

> but I can not see computers on
> my workgroups.

 When you say that they do pong, that says to me that you ARE seeing them.
 Do you mean that they are not registered with the workgroup master browser ?

> I also can not long in to the Novell network at site A from
> computers on Site B   I get a Tree not found.
>
> Are there some Novell setting I need to change and are there some Windows
> settings I need to change.

 Due to the highly convoluted way that M$ does ( or doesn't ) do canonical name
 resolution, everything thus far suggests a server configuration error, at whichever
 machine is the primary domain controller for the M$ network.

 Now that I'm reminded that you can ping, and the private block machines do pong,
 then you can, and should, treat the VPN tunnel as a slow, but direct, ethernet
 wire between the sites.
 Your issue is some kind of server configuration error.

 I'm sure you already know that you can not have two PDC's on a M$ network ?
 That to say that you may NOT have a PDC at site A, and another at site B.
 Since VPN=wire this would be recipe for a train wreck.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

omnibiblious, adj.:
 Indifferent to type of drink.  Ex: "Oh, you can get me anything.
 I'm omnibiblious."