[BC] Help on VPN setup

George Nicholas georgenicholas
Sat Oct 1 13:39:19 CDT 2005

Bruce - I am somewhat familiar with the 318 but not the 114.

First, I always make sure what I am pinging-- is it the firewall or is it
the router.  Older routers, at least the ones I 've worked with, required a
second public IP address for the firewall, after the router.  Nowadays the
routers can be set for bridge mode and essentially the public IP address
gets passed through to the firewall.  So that gets checked first.

In theory, once the VPN tunnel is working, you should be able to ping the
internal IP address of computers on the other side, ie 192.168.0.5.  If you
can, then you have connectivity (at least you can ping) then you'll have to
set up whatever service and ports you'd like to use, such as VNC or
PCAnywhere and make sure port 5900 is open for VNC and 5631/5632 is open for
PCA.  That will get you into the other side to set up drive shares, etc and
allow you to adminstrate it from home.

My advice is make sure you have stong remote admin passwords (long
combination of letter, numbers and non dictionary words) if you are using
remote admin.  If you want to see something scary, look at your status logs,
of all the a-holes trying to hack in.  I might also suggest you disable ping
if possible as that's what the hackers first look for.

Not sure on Novell's setup.  In Winders, you should be able to map
\\192.168.X.X\folder and it should ask for username/password on the shared
drive, if it's connected.  There may be a remote share program out there I
am not aware of-- I typically don't allow drive share access by VPN and I
don't recall if I've ever done it.  I use VPN exclusively with NexGen and it
works quite well.

Just my 0.02.

gn