[BC] Re: Gray Tone Arms

Jim Wood, C.P.E.W. electrojim
Sat Oct 1 12:14:41 CDT 2005

Jerry remarks:

> It's odd, but my experience with the Gray arms and warped records was the
> **exact opposite**. Without the damping fluid, the arm would indeed bounce
> off the record when it hit the warped spot.

Not odd at all, because that Gray arm weighed-in at about a pound.  The
damping fluid did indeed keep it from 'bouncing.'  But much lighter arms
with good vertical compliance could follow warps well.  That's why the
GE "Baton" and, as a matter of note, another arm from Gray (that was
vertically-pivoted 'up front') worked so well on deformed 45s.  The
MicroTrak was also pretty good, if I recall.

Jim Wood
Brea, CA