[BC] horns

Blake Bowers bbowers
Sat May 28 15:45:40 CDT 2005

> >I was once told by a former Bell manager the forest of microwave horns
>>remained atop their building downtown as they would be "too costly to
>>remove," but I wonder: considering the real risk and potential
>>liability--which I'm sure they methodically figured into their removal
>>survey--of leaving hefty disused tower structure standing in the center of
>>town ... if they were left up "just in case.")
>
> Nah. He was taking the piss.
> Those horns would be short hops to banks, insurance companies, and the
> like,
> linking in to the trunk access node on the fibre network.
> - Clive

Nope.  The former bell manager was right on target.  Bells plans
for those horns are to leave them where they are, until there is
a need to move them.

Figure that the system was built to withstand a close (5 miles or more
away) nuclear attack, its a pretty safe bet to leave them up there.

Now, a small minority of the smaller dishes may still be used, but not
often,
most are scrap.