[BC] could someone explain this to me?

Tom Bosscher tom
Fri May 27 15:40:19 CDT 2005

     My take on most talk radio listeners is that they feel left out of
the political process or, in the case of liberal fanatics, see things
going on that they want the government to control.  In many cases it's a
male PH.d complaining that other don't see things their way. They hate
Christians. In all 50 states of the union, Chrisitans going to church
have not produced any secular problems in the state. Liberal  fanatics,
including the dominant main stream media, will push against Christians
on all grounds. To us, so close to the industry, this seems like a
major, if not destructive, misuse of broadcasting. We tend to see the
entire population giving Dan Rather and his buds, a mandate. There are
still red people in blue states. Also understand that most of it is
schtick. Schtick gets better ratings than reasoned debate in a world of
sound bites. Try to proclaim "Fair and Balanced", and you will be
ridiculed.

It's hate radio to be sure. They hate the "white middle class." They
hate immigrants even though they will hire them to clean their houses.
They hate immigrants even though they claim to "be the best friend of
the down trodden. They hate Blacks who make it on their own, without the
governments help.  For simplicity Talk Radio deals in black and white.
No shades of grey or coloring of any kind. The nature of "Neutral NPR
news" is hype. Exaggeration. Hysteria makes for great ratings among the
already convinced. Talk Radio requires no thought, just an emotional
reaction to often inaccurate information. America is for Americans, even
though we're all immigrants except Native American Indians. It's an "I
got in, now shut the door" mentality.

My belief is that the vast majority of the population belongs to a
different "silent majority" - moderates. They're probably listening to
the local "Lite AC" station trying to get away from all the world's
controversy. If we ever needed Easy Listening it's now. Look around you
and see how many real people are on the extremes. Not many. Most are in
the middle and conservative on some issues and liberal on others.

Most of us have some kind of bigotry. Watching CBS or NBC or listening
to NPR gets us off the hook by letting someone else express it.

       tom bosscher