[BC] FIM On eBay/Stolen Items on eBay

Kevin/Tieline Technology kevin
Thu May 26 18:54:59 CDT 2005

I can speak from experience regarding stolen items on eBay.  We are
always on the lookout for stolen Tielines on behalf of customers and
happily have managed to reunite stolen Tielines with their rightful
owners.

When it comes to eBay, they make it difficult to report something that
you suspect is stolen.  In fact you have to have a law enforcement
official fill out their online form to alert them that what someone is
selling is suspected to be stolen.  Plus in eBay's online form you have
to reference a police report.

In one instance an eBay "Favorite Search" alerted me to an i-Mix selling
for waaay too low of a price, a classic tip-off.  After many
conversations with the seller via e-mail I tried to report it as a
possible stolen item to eBay.  Because of the barriers they have in
place I could not report it.  VERY frustrating.  Eventually we were able
to reunite the rightful (and grateful) owner with the "missing" i-Mix.

BTW when something is stolen, here are some tips:
1) File a police report immediately.
2) Report said stolen unit to the manufacturer (include the police
report).  If they are like us, we keep a record of all units reported
stolen and keep a sharp eye out so we may assist in getting them back.
3) Set up a "Favorite Search" on eBay for your item being sure to
include key words in your search.  Read their setup instructions
carefully so get the most from your search.  That way _eBay_ is doing
the watching for _you_.
4) Alert people on this and other professional online discussion lists.
5) Contact area and regional pawn shops.  I believe they are then
directed by law to keep an eye out for said item.
6) Make sure the police report is cross-referenced to the sheriff's
department.  Many times they will recover items in drug busts, etc. and
if the items recovered are not claimed they go up for sale in a
Sheriff's Auction.
7) Contact fellow engineers and broadcasters in your area.  In doing so
they know they can then contact you to help keep an eye out if they have
something that goes missing.  You might kind of start a Neighborhood
Watch program for missing equipment.

Anyone else have more ideas please add to the list.

I used to work in the field myself before joining Tieline so I know what
it's like to have something stolen or go "missing".  I almost take it
personally when that happens.

Kevin Webb
GM, Tieline Technology
888-211-6989, ext. 111