[BC] mono to stereo

Dean Tiernan dtiernan
Thu May 26 15:16:39 CDT 2005

Message: 12
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 09:22:43 -0500
From: Kirk Harnack <kirk at harnack.com>
Subject: Re: [BC] Looking For Mono To Stereo Conversion Software

Danny Ray Boyer wrote:

>> Bernie, you are correct in what I need.  I have a mono wav file and want
>> to create a "fake" stereo image from the mono file. We have CoolEdit in
>> house and if it can do the conversion, I am unaware of it.
>> Cowboy, I will also try the Windows Sound Recorder.
>>
>> Danny Ray Boyer

You could do pseudo stereo yourself by this method:

Import your mono file into Cool Edit Pro, then save as a stereo file.

Reopen it and apply opposite EQ "cuts" the Left and Right channels of
the file.

For example, make the Left channel have three bandstop areas at, say
300Hz, 1.5kHz, and 3kHz.  Make the Right channel have bandstop areas at,
say 150Hz, 750Hz and 2kHz.  Get the idea?  If you can get the
"crossover" points to match up, this will work better.

This is similar to the basis of operation of Orban's stereo synthesizer.
  I'm sure Bob Orban could advise you much better than the foregoing,
but you get the idea.

Best,

Kirk Harnack