[BC] Lightning

DANA PUOPOLO dpuopolo
Thu May 26 15:10:50 CDT 2005

Yep.

I bore holes that are 20 feet deep if possible and then use old flanged
transmission line for a ground rod. Fill both the line section and the hole
with Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom Salt). Wet then top off with more Epsom Salt.

Four of these will work most anywhere and provide a good ground. I even used
this scheme atop what was basically a 500 foot rock and it seemed to work
okay.

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: Mike McCarthy <Towers at mre.com>
Subject: Re: [BC] Lightning

I know of one instance of this occurring at a telco CO here.  Over time,
their damage hits increased and they decided to install a new ground
system.  While opening up the old one, they discovered the original ground
system had self-insulated from the surrounding ground.  It took place over
a number of decades, but did happen.

In some installations where the ground is very sandy or very poor, Chem-rod
type electrodes and added enhanced conductive fill are necessary to insure
the ground performs properly over time and doesn't self-insulate.

MM