[BC] Lightning

Alan Alsobrook radiotech
Wed May 25 16:15:02 CDT 2005

I suspect the area of glassification depends greatly on the moisture
content of the soil. I.E. a strike when/where the ground is wet probably
would not cause much of a problem. If you were in the middle of a
drought and the ground was dry, it could possibly occur down the entire
rod.

Bruce Doerle wrote:
> This is an excellent point of which one we should be aware.  The sand
> around the lightning rods can become glassified under extreme
> strikes.  But any strike strong enough to this will also bypass the
> 'prevention' devices anyway.

Maybe maybe not, I still stick to my position that you can't prove this
one way or the other.

> So there is not much you can do to
> really prevent glassification.  It is more important to develop you
> ground system to dissipate the energy across multiple lightning rods
> to reduce the currents and heat.  You can determine the affects of
> the glassification by measuring the earth resistance to ground system
> periodically or buy a shovel.  From what I understand most of the
> glassification really only takes place near the surface where the
> currents are the strongest.

> I need to come back up to your area soon to see the bird hatchlings
> out at the Alligator Farm.  Maybe we can get together when I get
> there.

Just let me know, I'd enjoy saying hello again :)

--
Alan Alsobrook CSRE AMD CBNT
St. Augustine Fl. 32086 904-829-8885