[BC] Lightning

Bruce Doerle bdoerle
Wed May 25 13:07:49 CDT 2005

Alan,

This is an excellent point of which one we should be aware.  The sand around the lightning rods can become glassified under extreme strikes.  But any strike strong enough to this will also bypass the 'prevention' devices anyway.  So there is not much you can do to really prevent glassification.  It is more important to develop you ground system to dissipate the energy across multiple lightning rods to reduce the currents and heat.  You can determine the affects of the glassification by measuring the earth resistance to ground system periodically or buy a shovel.  From what I understand most of the glassification really only takes place near the surface where the currents are the strongest.

I need to come back up to your area soon to see the bird hatchlings out at the Alligator Farm.  Maybe we can get together when I get there.

Bruce

>>> radiotech at bellsouth.net 05/25/05 1:14 PM >>>

This is especially true here in Florida, Where a ground rod that gets
hit by lightning can self insulate by turning the sand surrounding it
into glass.

Alan Alsobrook CSRE AMD CBNT
St. Augustine Fl. 32086 904-829-8885
aalso at Bellsouth.net