[BC] Re: Call-letter curiosities

SHAFFER, RANDY L RandyShaffer
Tue May 24 09:10:00 CDT 2005

Alan wrote -

This may muddy the waters even further, but I have a QSL card, with Ekko
stamp, from WMBS radio, owned by Mack Battery Service of Harrisburg, PA...
I have no idea if this was the same station or not.

Alan, you are correct, as far as the official station history goes. Barry forwarded a timeline that a couple of the old timers (50yrs) here dispute. Just a little mud, not much.
I'm going to try to contact some of the retired engineers to get some clarification. I have WMBS as as the official starting point of WHP. The station is promoing this year as 80yrs serving Central PA.  I have, as do you, Macks Battery Service compared to Mack's Battery Company. They claim the studio was at 216 Locust St and the transmitter was on Hummelstown Hill. They have no knowledge of the Venice Bldg location. But, this was 1925, so I'm not sure about memories here.
There was also a WMSP in town as well as WHGB and apparently a WHBG. So, you can see how recall can be confusing. None of this still answers the question as to if  WHP was a requested or assigned call.

Randy
WHP-TV/WLYH-TV
Harrisburg,PA