[BC] RE: SBE AMD

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Mon May 23 19:50:40 CDT 2005

On 23 May 2005 at 15:33, Thomas G. Osenkowsky wrote:

(Replying to Chriss Scherer who wrote:)
> >Protecting the Certification Database and ensuring
> >a valid test are primary concerns. We are aware that
> >at some point we will need to revise the computer
> >policy. We must also make sure that the integrity of
> >the question database is not compromised.
>
> It's sad enough to read that Amateur Radio exams were
> compromised i.e. a VE parent passing their child
> for the Extra class code when she could barely do 3 wpm,
> let alone higher. The word "professional" has been
> mentioned in recent SBE posts. How can one who wishes to
> be respected as a professional even consider copying
> exam questions? And what about someone who would
> accept such questions from the one who copied them?

The problem is the real world contains rotten people. It's
a sad fact of life. The complete compromise of the FCC
question database was what ultimately led to the demise
of the First Phone IMHO. The six week, and later, six
day wonders effectively destroyed the value of FCC testing.

It shouldn't be that way, but there it is. Cheating in our
schools is rampant today. The enjoyment of learning has
been bred out of the modern education "system" in many
quarters. The pressure for results regardless of ability
or knowledge has degraded our system to the point that
taxpayers are beginning to doubt the result, as well they
should IMHO. Against this background, I don't see anything
remarkable about the fact that some would try to cheat the
test if they could, and the SBE certification committee is
correct in taking every step to safeguard the database of
questions. To some extent the voluntary nature of the tests
helps safeguard their integrity, however, as certification
becomes more instrumental in broadcasting (if it does) its
own success will generate problems of this type.

In some ways, this is another good argument for not getting
the states involved through some kind of worthless licensing
scheme.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037