[BC] BPL flaws

Fee Lee feehlee
Mon May 23 17:21:53 CDT 2005

Don't hit the poles with a mallet!  We have a power company here that has a
dept that goes out and locates power line noise for their customers so that
their linesmen can effect repairs (only one of two power companies in the
nation that has such a dept).  Well the guy who does this work for the power
company used to hit poles with a sledgehammer to help zero in on the problem
pole stopped doing so when he started to hit a pole with the sledge when he
looked up and saw that the noise problem was caused by a small arc that had
eaten most of the wire away from under a clamp, had he hit the pole with the
sledge what little wire that still existed would probably have snapped and
the wire would have fallen on him.  He never touches a pole again with a
hammer.  This guy is such a expert on the subject of powerline noise
problems that he has a small company that other power companies hired to
help them located tough powerline noise problems.
                                           Fee Lee